Preparing for a Flood
Flooding can happen fast in many environments. The American Red Cross recommends having the following list of items packed and ready to go in the event of an evacuation due to flooding.
- Water—3+ day supply; one gallon per person per day
- Food—3+ day supply of non-perishable, easy to prepare food
- Battery powered radio
- Extra batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation/personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents
- Cell phones with chargers
- Family & Emergency contact information
- Extra Cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area
- Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers, etc.)
- Pet supplies
- Tools/supplies for securing your home
- Extra set of car keys & house keys
- Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
- Rain gear
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Camera for photos of damage
Smoke Alarms & Fire Safety
In the event of a fire, a working smoke alarm increases your chances of surviving a fire. Here are some smoke alarm tips to help keep you and your family safe:
- Install a dual sensor smoke alarm. These contain both ionization and photoelectric smoke sensors. Ionization smoke alarms are more responsive to flaming fires while photoelectric smoke alarms are more responsive to fires that begin with a long smoldering period.
- Test batteries monthly.
- Replace the batteries in a battery-powered and hard-wired smoke alarms at least once a year.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home. Also, place them inside and outside sleeping areas.
- Replace the actual smoke alarm unit every 8-10 years or according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Never disable a smoke alarm while cooking.
Be Flood Smart
Floods are one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States. Whether your home or business is near a coastline, along city streets, in the mountains, near a river or even in the desert-there is always the potential for flood damage. Floodsmart.gov reports, in the last five years, all 50 states have experienced floods or flash floods.
According to the American Red Cross (ARC), floods cause more damage in the U.S. every year that any other weather-related disaster. The ARC offers the following flood safety tips:
- Stay away from floodwaters. If you come up on a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, stop, turn around and go another way. Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweet you off of your feet.
- If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are rising rapidly around you, get out of the car and quickly move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
- Keep children out of the water. They are curious and often lack judgment about running water or contaminated water.
If a flood does strike your home or business, contact the SERVPRO of Beaumont/Orange/Nederland/Lumberton!
Even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly, and the cleanup is often an overwhelming task. The SERVPRO system is prepared to handle any size disaster.
Understanding Water Types
When your home or business suffers a water damage, understanding what type of water you are dealing with is critical to ensuring proper cleanup.
There are three types of water. Clean water is water from a broken pipe, or other water source; rainwater is also considered clean. The term gray water is used to classify slightly contaminated water. Clean water becomes gray water when it is left untreated allowing bacteria and other contaminant to begin growing, making the water hazardous. Black water is highly contaminated and filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals and more. Black water is typically caused by sewage damage, flooding or any type of natural disaster. Black water should always be handled by trained professionals.
If you have water damage in your home, contact the SERVPRO of Beaumont/Orange/Nederland/Lumberton—(409) 212-1977!
Be Prepared with an ERP
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP) will help ensure that you are “Ready for whatever happens.” In the event of an emergency, the ERP can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility. The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contacts, shut-off valve locations, utility services contact information, insurance information and also priority areas. The SERVPRO READY Profile can be easily accessed from your smartphone in a simple app. An ERP can be easily set up in fifteen minutes and can help minimize damage in a matter of seconds in the event of a disaster!
Call the SERVPRO of Beaumont/Orange/Nederland/Lumberton today to establish your FREE Emergency READY Profile!
Facts about Lightning
Lightning is one of the leading causes of weather-related fatalities. Though the odds of being struck by lightning in a given year are only around 1 in 500,000, some factors can put you at greater risk for being struck.
Here are a few lightning safety tips:
- Be aware. Check the forecast before participating in outdoor activities. If it calls for thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity, or make sure adequate safe shelter is available.
- Go indoors. Remember the phrase, “When thunder roars, go indoors.” Find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Safe shelters include homes, offices, shopping centers, and hard-top vehicles with the windows rolled up.
- Avoid windows, doors, porches and concrete. Do not lie on concrete floors and avoid leaning on concrete walls. Lighting can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water. Do not bathe, shower, wash dishes, or have any other contact with water during a thunderstorm because lightning can travel through a building’s plumbing.
Emergency water extraction after a busted pipe.
Water damage can happen at any time. The SERVPRO of Beaumont handles water damage every day and realizes that prompt action is key in the event of any disaster. Our SERVPRO technicians are trained in the proper techniques to inspect a home or business and assess the damage after a disaster. We use technology that is designed to determine the amount of moisture in an affected area, iPads to document the findings, and the proper placement of air movers and dehumidifiers to ensure proper drying. Our SERVPRO Professionals understand water damage and have the proper training and equipment to take care of all of your water damage needs 24/7, 365 days a year!
Have questions about water damage? Contact the SERVPRO of Beaumont today—(409) 212-1977!
2019 Hurricane Season
Did your name make this years' list?
As many of you know the 2019 Hurricane Season starts this weekend on June 1st. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting a near normal Atlantic hurricane season. They are predicting a likely range of 9-15 names storms and out of those storms 4-8 could become a hurricane. The NOAA is using cutting edge tools to help secure Americans against the threats that are posed by hurricanes and tropical storms. The NOAA factors in the current climate and the ongoing El Nino. The NOAA are doing all that they can to ensure that they are creating a more Weather-Ready Nation by providing the public with the information needed to take actions before, during and after a hurricane.
In the event of a hurricane the SERVPRO of Beaumont is here to help 24/7!
SERVPRO of Beaumont is Faster to ANY Disaster
Flooding and water emergencies don’t have to wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Beaumont provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster to Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture and more. SERVPRO of Beaumont arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call us 24/7—(409) 212-1977
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increases dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structure rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Commercial Document Restoration
Did you know that the SERVPRO of Beaumont can help restore documents after a water or fire loss at your place of business?
SERVPRO provides document restoration services. We can dry, clean, sterilize, deodorize, destroy and offer digitization services of all your important documents. The SERVPRO document restoration team members are trained and certified in HIPPA compliance. This certification protects the privacy and security of certain health information.
- Drying-Process in which an item containing moisture is frozen and dried using vacuums and pressures to achieve sublimation.
- Cleaning- Onsite cleaning. This is cleaning each document front and back to remove debris and any surface particulates.
- Sterilization- Gamma Irradiation is a process that is used for disinfecting and decontamination documents or other consumer goods.
- Deodorization- Once paper has been wet, an odor can begin to form. By letting SERVPRO deodorize your documents, the odor can be reduced and sometimes eliminated completely.
- Destruction- We offer certified destruction of documents.
- Digitization- Digitizing documents makes them easier to access as well as making storage of these files easier. We use state of the art equipment to turn paper copies into digital files.
Have questions about SERVPRO’s document restoration? Contact us today!—(409) 212-1977