Facts about Lightning
Lightning is one of the leading causes of weather-related fatalities. Though the odds of being struck by lightning in a given year are only around 1 in 500,000, some factors can put you at greater risk for being struck.
Here are a few lightning safety tips:
- Be aware. Check the forecast before participating in outdoor activities. If it calls for thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity, or make sure adequate safe shelter is available.
- Go indoors. Remember the phrase, “When thunder roars, go indoors.” Find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Safe shelters include homes, offices, shopping centers, and hard-top vehicles with the windows rolled up.
- Avoid windows, doors, porches and concrete. Do not lie on concrete floors and avoid leaning on concrete walls. Lighting can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water. Do not bathe, shower, wash dishes, or have any other contact with water during a thunderstorm because lightning can travel through a building’s plumbing.
Emergency water extraction after a busted pipe.
Water damage can happen at any time. The SERVPRO of Beaumont handles water damage every day and realizes that prompt action is key in the event of any disaster. Our SERVPRO technicians are trained in the proper techniques to inspect a home or business and assess the damage after a disaster. We use technology that is designed to determine the amount of moisture in an affected area, iPads to document the findings, and the proper placement of air movers and dehumidifiers to ensure proper drying. Our SERVPRO Professionals understand water damage and have the proper training and equipment to take care of all of your water damage needs 24/7, 365 days a year!
Have questions about water damage? Contact the SERVPRO of Beaumont today—(409) 212-1977!
2019 Hurricane Season
Did your name make this years' list?
As many of you know the 2019 Hurricane Season starts this weekend on June 1st. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting a near normal Atlantic hurricane season. They are predicting a likely range of 9-15 names storms and out of those storms 4-8 could become a hurricane. The NOAA is using cutting edge tools to help secure Americans against the threats that are posed by hurricanes and tropical storms. The NOAA factors in the current climate and the ongoing El Nino. The NOAA are doing all that they can to ensure that they are creating a more Weather-Ready Nation by providing the public with the information needed to take actions before, during and after a hurricane.
In the event of a hurricane the SERVPRO of Beaumont is here to help 24/7!
SERVPRO of Beaumont is Faster to ANY Disaster
Flooding and water emergencies don’t have to wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Beaumont provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster to Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture and more. SERVPRO of Beaumont arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call us 24/7—(409) 212-1977
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increases dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structure rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Commercial Document Restoration
Did you know that the SERVPRO of Beaumont can help restore documents after a water or fire loss at your place of business?
SERVPRO provides document restoration services. We can dry, clean, sterilize, deodorize, destroy and offer digitization services of all your important documents. The SERVPRO document restoration team members are trained and certified in HIPPA compliance. This certification protects the privacy and security of certain health information.
- Drying-Process in which an item containing moisture is frozen and dried using vacuums and pressures to achieve sublimation.
- Cleaning- Onsite cleaning. This is cleaning each document front and back to remove debris and any surface particulates.
- Sterilization- Gamma Irradiation is a process that is used for disinfecting and decontamination documents or other consumer goods.
- Deodorization- Once paper has been wet, an odor can begin to form. By letting SERVPRO deodorize your documents, the odor can be reduced and sometimes eliminated completely.
- Destruction- We offer certified destruction of documents.
- Digitization- Digitizing documents makes them easier to access as well as making storage of these files easier. We use state of the art equipment to turn paper copies into digital files.
Have questions about SERVPRO’s document restoration? Contact us today!—(409) 212-1977
This is a soot web caused by a kitchen fire.
Many times we walk into a customer’s home to assess the extent of the damage in their home after a fire loss. They begin to assure us that their home has “never been this dirty.” In most cases after a fire has occurred, customers notice “dirty cobwebs” throughout their home. However, they aren’t indicative of your cleaning skills. They are actually due to the fire!
These “dirty cobwebs” are called soot webs. Soot webs are formed when smoke from rubber or plastics may have ionized the soot particles that then bind together to form what looks like cobwebs.
If you do have soot webs in your home, do not try to clean them yourself! Any time you try to clean soot without the proper chemicals, tools and experience, you’ll likely cause further damage in your home.
If you have soot webs, call the SERVPRO of Beaumont at (409) 212-1977!
Improving Air Quality in Your Business
The ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality, but you can help change that! Inspecting the ductwork in your facility should be a high priority. In most cases, the HVAC system has been operating for some time without much attention. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold, and irritating dust throughout your building.
A routine part of SERVPRO of Beaumont’s service is inspecting the HVAC and ductwork. Keeping the HVAC and ductwork clean can potentially extend the life-span of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may help you save money. Duct cleaning may not always be necessary. SERVPRO of Beaumont will inspect your ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to address an indoor air quality concerns. This inspection can help you save money and provide peace of mind on the health of your HVAC system and ductwork.
For more information on commercial duct cleaning, contact SERVPRO of Beaumont today!
Proper Drying and Dehumidifcation
Drying after water damage in a commercial building.
The first step to any water damage is removing the standing water. Even though your floors and walls may look dry at first glance; they are still wet to the touch. Most building materials, like drywall and wood, are porous and will retain significant water. The retained water will cause these materials to warp, swell, or break down and can also cause damage.
SERVPRO of Beaumont will manipulate the temperature and relative humidity to remove the remaining moisture. We use specialized equipment, including industrial air movers and dehumidifiers, to remove water retained by building materials and other hard-to-access moisture. Our SERVPRO professionals carefully monitor the progress using moisture meters until the materials return to acceptable drying goals.
Our SERVPRO of Beaumont professionals are trained and certified according to the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) guidelines specifically in Water Restoration. SERVPRO also encorporates its own Employee Certification Trainings in Water Damage as well. Our SERVPRO team members are highly trained and ultimately Here to Help!
Water Damage Do's & Don'ts
Many of us do not know the first steps to take in the event of water damage in our homes. SERVPRO has over 40 years of leadership and training in cleanup and restoration services. SERVPRO has put together a few Do’s and Don’ts to help in the event of water damage in your home.
Water Damage from Clean Water
- Shut off the source of the water as quickly as possible.
- Turn off any circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the breaker box is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping & blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Remove any documents, computers and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards are at risk.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches or circuit breakers are exposed to water/
- Leave books, newspapers. Magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Leave oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove excess water. This could cause electrical shock or damage the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceilings are wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Mold in Southeast Texas
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Beaumont to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.