Portable Grill Safety
Food plays an important role in outdoor festivities throughout the year and portable grills make it possible to be away from home. While they are smaller, they still have risks. Here are some tips on how to be safe during your adventurous summer!
- Only grill where there are no fire restrictions in place. Check to make sure you are permitted to grill in the area.
- Check fire danger ratings in the area to check if weather or other factors make it dangerous to light a flame.
Safely Starting Charcoal
- Charcoal Chimney starters allow you to ignite the charcoal using newspaper. Use a long match to avoid burning your fingers when lighting the paper.
- Only use a lighter fluid intended for charcoal grills.
- Never add charcoal starter fluids to coals or kindling that has already been ignited.
- Never use gasoline or other flammable liquids except charcoal starter or lighter fluid to start a charcoal fire.
- Place the grill away from overhanging branches, foot traffic, lawn games, and play areas.
- Keep children and pets, anything that can burn, and oven mitts and towels at least 3 feet away from open flames and heat.
- Use long handled grilling tools to have clearance from you and the heat and grill.
- Never leave the fire unattended.
Disposing of Charcoal
- Douse the fire with water and make sure it is cold to the touch before leaving the area.
- Empty coals into a metal container with tight-fitting lid that is used to collect coal only. Place the container away from anything that can burn.
- Never empty coal directly into a trashcan.
- Store charcoal and starter fluids away from children and heat sources.
For more information, visit Outdoor cooking safety with portable grills | NFPA
Commercial Cleaning- Biohazards and Sewage
Biological and chemical containments can cause significant damage when not properly removed. Failure to correctly clean such substances contributes to unsafe and unhealthy environments. SERVPRO of Beaumont is trained and equipped with the necessary products to clean and dispose of biohazards correctly, according to OSHA and health regulations. Decontamination due to biohazard can not only be dangerous but emotional as well, and training and experience is key when choosing a cleanup company to achieve transforming your commercial buildings back into healthy and safe environments for you and your employees. SERVPRO of Beaumont provides cleanup and decontamination of the following:
- Sewage backups
- Crime scene residues
- Suicide/death accidents
- Homicide cleanups
- Blood cleanups
- Accident cleanups
- Hoarding scenes
- Animals waste/remains
- Chemical spills
- Tear gas cleanup
- Illegal Drug Manufacturing Labs
For more information on Commercial Biohazard Cleanups, call us today at (409) 212- 1977!
What To Do Until Help Arrives- Biohazard
Biohazard contaminants, like sewer backups and flood water, can cause extensive damage to your business. SERVPRO of Beaumont has the training and equipment to effectively and safely clean up and restore your business. But it is important to know what to do and what not to do, so here are some tips on what you can do until help arrives.
Your primary focus should be safety after any biohazard contamination.
- Is it safe to stay in the building?
- Minimize exposure to biological and chemical contaminants
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
What to Do After Contamination
- Stay away from affected areas.
- Call emergency personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat ALL bodily fluids as if they are contaminants.
What Not to Do After Contamination
- Don’t use household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use appliances, televisions, or any electronics connected to potentially affected outlets.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet and keep out of areas where the ceiling is sagging.
Biohazards should be treated as an emergency and SERVPRO of Beaumont has the specific training and expertise to safely remediate these contaminants.
For more information call SERVPRO of Beaumont now, at (409) 212- 1977.
Commercial Mold Remediation
A mold issue on your commercial property can create a significant amount of damage to the building. Mold growth can happen quickly in our region of the country. In Southeast Texas, mold is just about everywhere because of our high humidity levels, conditions that are ideal for mold to grow. If you suspect that your property may have a mold problem, call SERVPRO of Beaumont. We can quickly respond to your needs and work fast to get you back in business.
- 24 Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- A Trusted Leader in the Mold and Water Restoration Industry
- Highly Trained Mold and Water Damage Restoration Specialists
- Applied Microbial Remediation Specialist
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technician
- Odor Control Technician
- Upholstery and Fabric Cleaning Technician
If you believe there is a mold problem in your building, call us today at (409) 212-1977!
National Flood Insurance Program
The National Flood Insurance Program policy covers direct physical losses to your belongings and structures after a flood event. The NFIP has two types of coverage: your home itself and your belongings. Here are some examples of what IS covered by your flood insurance policy:
- Electrical and Plumbing Systems
- Water heater and furnaces
- Refrigerators, stoves, ovens, built-in appliances like dishwashers
- Permanently installed fixtures, such as carpeting, cabinets, paneling, and bookcases
- Window blinds
- Foundation walls, anchorage systems, and staircases
- Detached garages
- Fuel tanks, pumps and well water tanks, and solar energy equipment
- Personal belongings like clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment
- Washer and Dryer
- Portable and window air conditioners
- Microwave oven
- Carpets not included in building coverage like carpet installed over wood floors.
- Valuable items like original artwork and furs (up to $2,500)
What isn’t covered by flood insurance?
Flood insurance is determined by the cause of flooding and only covers damages directly caused by the flooding. For example, losses caused by a sewer backup is covered if the backup is a direct result of flooding. Here are some examples of things not covered by insurance:
- Temporary housing and additional living expenses while the building being repaired is unable to be occupied
- Property outside of the insured building like wells, landscaping, decks and patios, fences, swimming pools, etc.
- Financial losses caused by business interruption
- Currency, precious metals, stock certificates and other valuable papers
- Cars and most self-propelled vehicles, including their parts
- Personal property kept in basements
For more information about your coverage talk to your insurance agent before hurricane season starts, and visit FloodSmart | What Does Flood Insurance Cover?
Preventing Water Damage to Foundations
The most efficient way to prevent and/or fix a problem is to hire a structural engineer to help, as there can be a wide range of solutions they can provide. However, there are some measures you can take on our own to prevent water damage to the structure’s foundation.
Checking the length of Downspouts
A downspout is a pipe that helps direct rainwater off your roof and away from the building. These need to be as far from your home’s foundation as possible. Without the correct length, the downspout’s purpose is essentially defeated.
Have an Outward- Sloping Landscape
The landscape of your home is very important. Ideally, the ground your home is built on should slope downward to prevent collection of water around your home.
Gutters around your home need to be free of debris so they should be cleaned as often as possible to prevent clogging.
For more information, visit House Foundation Water Damage: Signs, Causes & Prevention Guide (safeandsanitaryhomes.org)
Causes of Water Damage
There can be multiple causes of water damage to a home’s foundation. Water damage can result due to one or more of these likely causes:
- Underground & surface water
- Trees to close to the building
- Poor drainage
- Unstable soil
There are 2 types of underground water: natural occurring and plumbing installations. Natural occurring water includes springs close to or beneath the home. The presence of underground springs may be caused by proximity of pods or other bodies of water. Artificial underground water alternately is created from plumbing installations that pass below a home. Leaks from installations may also affect your home’s foundation.
Surface water combined with the improper evaluation of the landscape causes damage from rain. Rain fall is expected to be directed away from the home by an outward slope of the landscape, but when a home is not graded correctly, it is likely to have pools of water form in your yard. Surface water can also collect around the home and can result in absorption through the foundation.
Trees are usually desirable to have around homes because of the benefits they produce but can turn out to be a hassle when they are too close to the structure. The roots of a tree extend outward to try and find water and nutrients. This can affect underground installations like sewer lines, plumbing, and drains. This results in clogging that can contribute to water damage.
The roof’s draining system is a vital structure to your home because they guide water down and away from the structure. However, when gutters and downspouts get clogged, water damage is likely to occur.
Certain soils are more compact than others and better for building structures on. Loose soil is more likely to cause significant structural problems from cracks and result in water damage because of easy flooding.
Signs of Water Damage
Water Damage - Foundation
Many times, homeowners are forced to deal with moisture issues that can weaken a structure's foundation. This moisture can also lead to issues like mold growth, termites, peeling paint, buckled wooden floors, and water stains on walls.
Signs of Water Damage
When there is water damage, the signs aren’t always obvious. They can be subtle or prominent depending on the scale and conditions of the damage. To the untrained eye, the signs aren’t quickly recognized until the problems worsen.
- Cracks in sheetrock
- Caulking disintegrating or pulling away from exterior surfaces surrounding fixtures and tubs
- Presence of ants within or around your home
- Difficulty closing or opening doors
- Cracks in stone or brick fireplace
- Window difficult to close
- Raised or cracked sections of floors
- Ceiling joints may be raised in addition to the possibility of nails pulling out of sheetrock
- Appearance of cracks in brick mortar
For more information visit, House Foundation Water Damage: Signs, Causes & Prevention Guide (safeandsanitaryhomes.org)
Is your business prepared for a disaster?
Here is how the SERVPRO of Beaumont & Orange/Nederland/Lumberton can help:
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile® (ERP) will help ensure you are “Ready for whatever happens.” In the event of an emergency, the Emergency READY Profile can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility. The Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) is a comprehensive smart phone app that can document information that contains critical information about your business, including emergency contacts, shut-off valve locations, insurance information, utility contacts and priority areas. Call SERVPRO® of Beaumont & Orange/Nederland/Lumberton to set up your free Emergency READY Profile®!
The Emergency Ready Profile® app can be downloaded on Apple, Google Play and Android Platforms!
Call today at (409)-212-1977!
For Immediate Service in Beaumont, Call SERVPRO!
SERVPRO of Beaumont provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Beaumont. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 409-212-1977
Whether your Beaumont home needs emergency flood damage, or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Beaumont commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So, when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services: Beaumont, TX Water, Fire & Mold Damage Cleanup and Restoration (SERVPRObeaumont.com)
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration