Preventing Water Damage
A small amount of water soaking into your floors, walls or cabinets is all it takes to cause damage in your home or business. A study of closed water damage insurance claims identified plumbing pipes and drain systems as the leading cause of interior water damage. The following tips can help you minimize the risk in your home or business.
- Proper Maintenance — majority of insurance claims were caused by corroded, rusty, or frozen pipes. Maintaining these in your home or business can help prevent any future damage.
- Look for an increase in your monthly water bill—pipes with leaks can cause your water to bill to increase.
- Rust stains, moisture in the walls or on the floor are all potential indicators of plumbing issues.
- If you are on a sewer system or you are located below street level — contact a plumbing professional to install a backflow prevention into your sewer system.
- Make sure to plant trees away from lateral drain lines to prevent roots from damaging pipes.
- NEVER pour grease down the drain.