Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire damage is a nightmare, and it can feel like there's nothing you can do to stop it. But the truth is that there are plenty of ways to prevent fire damage in the first place, and once it's happened, there are many ways to mitigate the damage and make sure you don't lose your home or business.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind BEFORE a fire:
1. Keep your smoke detectors in good working order.
2. Check for electrical problems (e.g., faulty wiring) that could cause a fire.
3. Keep a charged fire extinguisher on hand
4. Create an escape plan for everyone in your family
It is impossible to completely prevent a fire from breaking out on your property. That's why SERVPRO of Beaumont has put together this list of fire damage tips for you. Below is a list of things to do and not do after a fire. We urge you to take a second to read through these tips to be better prepared in the event of a fire in your home or business in Beaumont, TX.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (409) 212-1977
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.